Jewellery Care Guide
To keep your Silver Origins sterling silver looking beautiful, learn what to avoid and how to care for your precious metals, and natural gemstones with the care instructions below
- Clean silver regularly using a high-quality silver cloth. We do not recommend the use of silver dips.
- To bring back the sparkle to faceted gemstones, use warm soapy water and a soft brush, and rinse with clean water.
- Clean textured finishes using warm soapy water and a soft brush, and rinse in clean water.
- Textured finishes and jewellery with rose and gold plate detailing we recommend for occasional wear only.
- We recommend when wearing silver jewellery, avoid contact with any cosmetics, such as make-up, hairspray, perfume and deodorant.
- We recommend you store silver jewellery in a cool, dry place and in an airtight zip bag or soft pouch and place a small packet of desiccant crystals in the packaging if you live in a humid climate.
- Ideally store your pieces of jewellery separately, so that they don't rub together or become tangled.
- To help protect the durability and high-quality of your jewellery, remove your jewellery when you shower, bathe or engage in heavy exercise, particularly when swimming in the sea or a chlorinated swimming pool.
- Keep your jewellery away from extreme temperatures, humidity or sunlight.
- Avoid wearing your jewellery when using bleach, cleaning products and other chemicals.
- To keep your jewellery looking radiant and to remove the build-up of dirt and premature tarnish we recommend using a polishing cloth. Rub the piece in one direction rather than circular motions. Do not use tissue paper or paper towels to clean metal as they can cause scratching.
- All of our gemstones are natural and therefore can be vulnerable to absorbing dirt and to chipping. Settings may also become loose over-time.
- Since many natural gemstones can be quite delicate, hot water, harsh chemicals and cleaners should be avoided at all times.
- Clean your gemstones with a clean, soft, damp cloth after wearing.
- Very porous stones such as Turquoise, should be cleaned using an untreated, dry, soft cloth only.
- Do not use tissue paper or paper towels to clean gemstones as they can cause scratching.
How to Prevent Tarnishing
- All our Sterling Silver product is protected with an anti-tarnish solution to help prevent tarnish, but this may eventually wear with time.
- Silver tarnishes rapidly when exposed to certain substances in our everyday lives so we recommend caring for, wearing and storing your jewellery as mentioned above.
Plated jewellery, such as gold and rhodium, continues looking beautiful when you: clean regularly using a non-abrasive jewellery cloth. Using a specialist cloth ensures the plating stays looking fresh, longer.
Just like sterling silver, we recommend keeping plated sterling silver away from everyday chemicals, such as perfume.